Wednesday 1 July 2015

Full Oak Moon dreamboard

On what is the hottest day of the year in the UK, I certainly feel like the Oak King is reaching the peak of his powers!!

As I re-read this, one phrase stood out: 


The Oak tree's essence helps boost energy levels and the ability to manifest our goals.

Recovering from a summer cold in plus-30C temperatures, I need any energy boost I can get (I'm not a fan of 'law of attraction' and 'manifestation' techniques), so imagine my surprise when I found the phrase 'Add a BOOST' in my stash of papers and knew it had to be on my dreamboard.


I feel there's something of a story unfolding on these pages...

Left-hand page


I see the two men as the Oak King and the Holly King each fighting to reign over the year and win the hand of the Summer Queen...

The Greg Spalenka card (top left) had these words on the back:

By the moone we sport and play,
With the night begins our day.
Thomas Ravenscroft

(These Elizabethan musician's lyrics I've written in the wee quill card on the right-hand page.)

To me, this image represents the fiery Oak King giving the last blaze of Summer light, before the somber Holly King takes over the waning year. I always see the darker winter months as a time of reflection, hence his receding, mirrored image.

And the Rumi quote tops a postcard showing the Queen and King dancing the Dance of the Forest:
Come out of the circle of time,
and into the circle of love.

Right-hand page


This page feels like a commentary on the story on the left, with the quill card and the famous Picasso quote, my found 'Add a BOOST' clipping, and a couple of enigmatic cards by two favourite artists Cathy Cullis (bottom left) and Francesca Burras (centre right). 

The page is completed by a wee English church and this quote:

Joy is prayer;
Joy is strength,
joy is love...
A joyful heart is the
inevitable result of a
heart burning with love.
Mother Teresa

Despite the heat and recovering from a cold, I've enjoyed making this. It feels like the perfect coda to my month-long collage making in June.

Happy July everyone!



1 comment:

  1. Sorry you've had a cold - summer colds are the worst, because on top of feeling like crap, your brain keeps saying "Really? A cold in the summertime? Really?".

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot. They show I'm not alone. Thank you!