Tuesday 9 June 2015

Collage no. 9

While I'm not writing about The Artist's Way as such, I am still reading it and absorbing it week by week as I make my daily collages.

This is Week 7: Recovering a Sense of Connection and funnily enough Collage is one of the Tasks for this week (AW, p. 127). Here's today's collage - I made it pondering these words from p. 118:


Art is an act of tuning in and dropping down the well. It is as though all the stories, painting, music, performances in the world live just under the surface of our normal consciousness. Like an underground river, they flow through us as a stream of ideas that we can tap down into...



Left-hand page



The top image is from some CD booklet - no idea which, and the words are from a magazine advert - I just had to add shiny stars in the glowering sky!

Then two favourite Louisa May Alcott quotes (it was only when I looked at the completed collage that I noticed that were both from her!) - one from my quote-a-day calendar, the other from an old Susan Seddon Boulet diary with an Untitled painting (1974) and the words:


Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.

Then a steamship ploughing the ocean and a gorgeous coastline 'Beyond expectation'...

Right-hand page


Some images of different types of human creation - a pianist, paintbrushes with the quote:

Every artist dips his brush in his soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.
Henry Ward Beecher

Under that is a postcard from Gillian Lee Smith showing one of her gorgeous dolls, and some backing papers of letters and a business card from Dancing Girl Art and an image of handmade books.

May we all find a few moments to connect with this underground river of creativity today :) x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot. They show I'm not alone. Thank you!