Sunday 19 July 2015

Meet my Tree Sisters...

Nowadays, the only way I get around is on my mobility scooter, and as it's quite old old, it can't go far, or off-road, or up steep hills...

So while I can't meander through any forests or woods, I can still visit the trees in the immediate vicinity. Let me introduce a few...



A neighbour's resplendent Willow... She hangs over the high hedge gently brushing me as I scoot under her tendrils...



I  spend as much time in her company as I can... Always aware I'm sitting on a road, half-listening out for traffic...
But I can always hear her whispers... She speaks my language :)


The avenue of majestic Sycamores who line one of my favourite streets - a row of Georgian houses (many of them now B&Bs), of what once was the main route to London.

Looking up, I feel protected and there is silence in my heart, as I block out the constant sound of traffic...



The deep-grooved bark of a Beech on the side of the road... What knowledge there is in this splendid specimen! And as I moved the camera around her trunk, I jumped at a sharp bolt of deep recognition...




Oh my, a beloved Sister of branch and bark...
Standing there silent and proud as the lorries thundered by, totally ignorant of her deep beauty.

No matter that we concrete over their roots, these gorgeous trees keep growing, blooming, giving us shade on sunny days...




... quietly singing their ancient forest songs...


5 comments:

  1. Bear and I said the same thing recently, about the trees we drive by every day on our way to work, home, shopping... they have been there since before we were born, and will be there (hopefully) long after we're gone... just being trees, doing what they do, in their own green world. They're not the picturesque or rare trees with labeled plaques in botanic gardens, they're never photographed or made a fuss of. They're just everyday trees - even though each one of them is a wonder of nature, something I bet few people who pass even realize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Claire. We have a huge ash tree that sits at the end of the garden behind us, but we get most of the benefit of. I love that tree. It feels like it's watching over us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 4 old willow trees in my backyard that give me immense pleasure. There is something about a willow that offers protection. I love them. Wonderful post.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. WON-DER-FULLL sisters!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trees by the roads do a hard job, but they are often especially comforting. They know so much about us peoples -

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot. They show I'm not alone. Thank you!